The final allocation of 50,000 $200 vouchers for travel in regional Victoria has been exhausted within just three minutes after being released to the public.
It comes after previous allocations have been snapped up by holiday-hungry Victorians within just minutes after the Andrews government launched the initiative to reinvigorate the state’s tourism industry.
The new allocation meant 200,000 travel vouchers for $200 had been taken up by Victorians, including 40,000 vouchers for travel in Metropolitan Melbourne currently in circulation.
To access the vouchers, visitors must spend $400 or more on accommodation, attractions or experiences and a minimum of two nights in paid accommodation.
Victorians took to Twitter to express their anger at the vouchers being sold out within minutes after 10am.
“I got on the computer to apply for a Victorian travel voucher at 10:01am. By the time I had filled the form out and clicked ‘apply’ at 10:04am they had sold out,” Katherine said.
Another Twitter user encountered an “allocation exhausted” notification after just four minutes.
Applications were open to Victorian residents aged 18 and older, with households limited to one voucher from each of the Melbourne and regional travel voucher schemes.
More than 150,000 vouchers valued at $200, have been snapped up during the first three rounds of the scheme, including 40,000 vouchers valid for travel up to April 1.
Vouchers snapped up today were available for use from April 6 to May 31.
Vouchers were limited to one per household.
Acting Minister for Tourism Jaala Pulford praised Victorians’ enthusiasm to snap up the vouchers.
“It’s fantastic that so many people want to explore their state and support the businesses and workers that make Victoria the best place in the country to visit,” she said.
“We know that our famous holiday destinations will be busy over Easter – these vouchers will help to ensure that demand stays high across April and May.”