Travellers from Greater Sydney looking to come to South Australia will need to wait a little while longer before authorities downgrade border restrictions.
Despite Victoria relaxing its borders to 25 local government areas as of 6pm on Monday, SA Premier Steven Marshall said the state was not yet in a position to do the same.
He told reporters it was still “some time off” before border restrictions would ease, with authorities waiting to see 14 days of no community transmission before making any changes.
“We’ll continue to look at the results coming out of NSW,” Mr Marshall said on Monday.
“We don’t want to do anything that will put us in jeopardy in SA.
“We’ve done really well with the coronavirus and that’s why we’re about to enjoy (events) over the next few months … we know by having these events, it creates more jobs in SA.
“That’s crucial at this time.”
It was previously announced that borders could open to Greater Sydney on January 25 but was subject to the state recording no community transmission.
Mr Marshall was unable to say if the state’s 14 day tally would restart after six locally acquired cases were recorded on Sunday.
“Our health epidemiologists will be looking very closely at yesterday’s six cases and seeing whether or not we’ll be restarting the clock.
“We’ve previously said if there were no new cases of community transmission we could be opening up to Sydney as soon as the January 25. We have to look at those cases.”
The state’s Transition Committee with meet again on Tuesday to discuss the border arrangements.