“This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the Covid-19 virus.”
Friday’s decision came after a number of Premier League clubs, players and managers were impacted by COVID-19.
Arsenal has closed its London Colney training center — which it says will undergo a deep clean — and club personnel, “including the full first-team squad and coaching staff,” who had recent close contact with Arteta will also self-isolate.
“This is really disappointing, but I took the test after feeling poorly,” Arteta said in a statement on the club’s website.” I will be at work as soon as I’m allowed.”
Meanwhile, Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi became the first Premier League player to test positive for the novel coronavirus
Chelsea say the teenager “displayed symptoms similar to a mild cold” on Monday and stayed away from the training ground as a precaution.
“As you may be aware, I had the virus for the last couple of days which I have recovered from,” the 19-year-old said in a video posted on Twitter.
“I am following the health guidelines and self-isolating myself from everybody for the week. I hope to see everybody soon and hopefully will be back on the pitch very soon.”
City say the family member has undergone a test for COVID-19 and until the results come back, Mendy will remain in isolation as a precaution.
Everton also confirmed that its entire first-team squad is self-isolating as a precautionary measure after a player showed symptoms of the coronavirus.
On Thursday, Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed that three of his first-team players were self-isolating after showing symptoms and “have been kept away from the rest of the squad.”
So far eight Premier League teams — Arsenal, Leicester City, Chelsea, Manchester City, Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Everton — have confirmed that they are self-isolating as a precaution against the coronavirus outbreak.
UEFA has also taken the decision to suspend all Champions League and Europa League matches next week.
These include the second leg clashes between Manchester City and Real Madrid, Juventus and Lyon, Barcelona and Napoli and Bayern and Liverpool.
“As a consequence of the postponements, the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League quarter-final draws scheduled for 20 March have also been postponed,” the governing body said in a statement.