NT declares Brisbane COVID-19 hotspot


The Northern Territory has become the next jurisdiction to put border arrangements in place with parts of Queensland after declaring Greater Brisbane a COVID-19 hotspot.

Following in Tasmania’s footsteps, NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner, who is currently in Queensland, took to social media to announce the changes that all travellers from the hotspot area must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival “effective immediately”.

“Throughout this pandemic we warned that things could change quickly … and once again, they have,” he wrote on Facebook.

“We said that the number one priority is to protect the lives of Territorians.

“And that if we have to go hard, early and wide … then we would. And we are.”

Mr Gunner said the decision supported the “rapid action” of the Queensland Government as it tries to contain the spread of the mutant strain.

“Unfortunately right now there are incoming flights from Brisbane about to land in Yulara and in Darwin.

“People on these flights will be given the option of returning to Brisbane or entering mandatory quarantine.”

Earlier today, Tasmania also announced that any travellers arriving into the state from Friday who have been in the Greater Brisbane area since January 2 will also need to quarantine for 14 days.

Tasmania declared Greater Brisbane a “high risk area” following Qld health authorities announcing a three-day lockdown.

Premier Peter Gutwein said residents of Greater Brisbane are now required to stay at home and must not travel.

“If they do not have a suitable premises, they will be placed into a government quarantine hotel,” he said in a statement.

Mr Gutwein advised all travellers currently in the state who had been in the high risk area since January 2 to check the list of risk locations.

He also asked those who had been to any of the listed places at the allocated dates and times to self-isolate and contact the Tasmanian Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738 to arrange a test.

Travellers who recently entered from Queensland will receive an SMS on Friday with the advice.

An announcement will soon be made in South Australia if it will make any changes to its border arrangements.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *