Couple fined $3304 for posting year-old travel photos online

A Facebook post has led to a couple being mistakenly fined more than $3300 by police.

According to the Herald Sun, Victorian coupleJaz and Garry Mott were slapped with hefty fines after they posted throwback photos on social media of a holiday to Lakes Entrance in June 2019.

Police slapped the couple with a $1652 fine each for breaching stay-at-home laws; however, the fine was revoked after authorities learnt the pictures weren’t taken over the Easter holiday period.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Ms Mott said a senior sergeant at Traralgon, near where the couple live, revoked the fine.

“Then he basically told me not to post any more photos while the lockdown is in place,” she said.

RELATED: Group of men caught eating pizza in the car

Deputy Commissioner Shane Patton said while police were not targeting social media movements, he has urged them to use “common sense” around the social distancing laws around the state.

On Monday, a man claims he was also issued a fine for partaking in an activity he thought was completely within the social distancing rule book.

According to the Herald Sun, the man claims he was slapped with a $1652 penalty notice after he walked 200 metres from his house to Elwood beach in Victoria for a paddleboard.

The man, who was not identified, was allegedly escorted to the shore around 5.30pm on Easter Monday by police before being issued the notice.

“He went straight out on his own and wasn’t near anyone else – he was the only craft in the water,” a witness told the publication.

“When he got to about 400m out from the Brighton side, down near the marina, a police boat with its lights flashing screamed into the water.”

RELATED: Follow the latest coronavirus coverage

Over the holiday period, a group of men eating pizza in their car were caught out by new coronavirus restrictions after police saw them breaking social distancing rules.

The group of four was caught in Condell Park in southwest Sydney on Saturday afternoon when they were spotted by police, who moved in to break up the gathering.

Ten officers attended the scene, and one of the men was handcuffed after an altercation erupted.

Two of the men, aged 22 and 26, were fined $1000 each for failing to comply with a public health order, while another man was fined at the scene for using offensive language.

Just days before the start of the Easter break, a Melbourne man copped a huge fine for breaching coronavirus rules by driving almost 40 kilometres from home and telling police he was out to buy a bottle of water.

Another two men were fined after being found by police watching a movie in their car in a public place.

In NSW over the Easter break, four people in a hotel room with an “adult entertainer” were slapped with $1000 fines for breaching COVID-19 isolation laws.

Police across the country cracked down on Aussies flouting social distancing restrictions over the Easter long weekend and issued on-the-spot fines to more than 100 people in NSW alone on Saturday.

Since March 21, Victoria Police have conducted 20,426 spot checks related to coronavirus restrictions.

It is understood that since the NSW Government cracked down on non-essential travel and public loitering on March 17, police have issued 57 court attendance notices and 464 penalty infringement notices relating to public health.

According to The Daily Telegraph, since Friday night 23 people have been charged and 283 others fined for ignoring COVID-19 restrictions.

One of the largest fines from the weekend was given to a 47-year-old woman who mooned the light rail in Newcastle on Saturday night. The notice is for $5000.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *